Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Stuart Mclean's Dave Cooks the Turkey

While listening to Stuart McLean's short story "Dave cooks the Turkey", I realized that I related to much of it. Stuart McLean does a great job allowing people to relate to it. He made a typical situation into something people can laugh and joke about it. With that said, I was laughing throughout most of the parts, not knowing that most of the story was something that has happened to myself and or families/friends. After reading it, I than realized that there are many examples in this story, that I've seen before. When Dave's wife, Morley says " I'm a train full of people who complain when you try to get them into a bed and fight when you try to get them out of one", I laughed because it reminded me of my mother, and how she has to tell my brother and I repeatedly that we have to go to bed and the next morning she's trying to get us up. I thought it was funny, because it happens all the time in my household. Another example I was able to relate to was at the end when Dave says " Morley could you come here, [Dave] said softly.There's something I have to tell you". I was able to relate to it, because there are many times when I know I'm in trouble and I have to admit to my parents, I say it a soft tone and I wait till I have no other choice.I thought it was funny because even Dave in the end, had to tell his wife about the turkey and the trouble he went through, even though in the end he didn't help Morley with Christmas. My last example that I can relate to is when Morley compares Dave as the "guy in the bar car...pushing the button to ask for another drink."This reminds me of my dad, and how my mother most of the time has to prepare meals, the kids, and etc. While my dad sits at the couch waiting for her to be done, so he can get pampered. It's funny, because Dave is one of those typical husbands who thinks his only job is to ask for a "drink".
With many of the examples, Stuart McLean made a creative story out of a typical real life situations that most people can relate to, into a funny story that let us laugh about things, we didn't think it might of been funny before.

No comments:

Post a Comment